even tho Jay lost the battle to Nas I think The Takover still knocks

Fresh

New York Knicks
Daps
Dumb argument tbh. Bc it’s not some either or proposition

Takeover was possibly the greatest diss track ever…for about 4 months. Then it became Ether. So wouldn’t that just move Takeover down to #2 diss of all time? :wtf: Instead people talk about Takeover like some indie sleeper as if the song magically became wack :heh:

Ether #1. Takeover #2. It’s sad hip hop has the most fickle, emotional fanbase that that is such a hard concept to grasp

I'm not making it either/or, don't derail my thread with negative energy

and for the record Hit Em Up is the greatest diss song of all-time, because not only did Pac roast Biggie in the most disrespectful way known to man, his crew lyrically murdered Biggie, Junior Mafia and Bad Boy as a whole

so your opinion is fundamentally flawed, stop being sensitive

King Harlem

Superstar
Daps
I was just thinking this.
Takeover is a better song than Ether to me and really was a better Prodigy diss than Nas diss. But Ether focused entirely on Jay.
So I get it, Nas got the better of Jay in their battle, but Takeover is a better record than Ether.

Fresh

New York Knicks
Daps
I was just thinking this.
Takeover is a better song than Ether to me and really was a better Prodigy diss than Nas diss. But Ether focused entirely on Jay.
So I get it, Nas got the better of Jay in their battle, but Takeover is a better record than Ether.

it's funny that people clown Jay for losing to Nas, but never talked about Jay winning against Prodigy

Nas and Prodigy were both top emcees, Jay lost to Nas but won against Prodigy (RIP)

King Harlem

Superstar
Daps
it's funny that people clown Jay for losing to Nas, but never talked about Jay winning against Prodigy

Nas and Prodigy were both top emcees, Jay lost to Nas but won against Prodigy (RIP)
I think the problem for Jay is he immediately released Super Ugly after Ether which was a huge mistake.
Otherwise the discussion would be a lot different if he didn't.

Theflash

Pro
Daps
first of all at the time of the battle Jay Z and Nas were my two favorite rappers, just so yall know I don't have an agenda

but even tho Jay lost the battle to Nas I think The Takeover is a better overall song

first off the beat knocked in an upbeat soul sampled way, and even tho Jay lost he was still spittin

matter of fact The Takeover is the only battle song I will listen to on a nice sunny day

don't get me wrong, Nas won with Ether but I don't listen to Ether that much

I still listen to Hit Em Up too, most vicious battle rap ever imo

anybody else still like The Takeover as an overall song, and not just the disses
:beli: Jay and Nas was my favorites …stfu pick a side. Wtf kinda fairy shyt is this talking about nice sunny days. You gotta be from upstate or staten island

Fresh

New York Knicks
Daps
:beli: Jay and Nas was my favorites …stfu pick a side. Wtf kinda fairy shyt is this talking about nice sunny days. You gotta be from upstate or staten island

breh I was literally riding around listening to the Blueprint when it dropped Sept 11th and countless times riding around listening to it because that particular September was hot and sunny

and the point of the thread wasn't a typical Nas vs Jay thread, mothafvcka I don't NEED to pick a side, I acknowledged Nas had the better diss, but The Takeover is an overall great song

step your reading comprehension game up and stop dap fishing

and before you get in your feelings, you're the one who disrespected me first, so you're in the wrong

don't try to spin it

and on a sidenote he11 New I ain't from upstate
I actually think they should move The Brooklyn Nets to Buffalo because The Knicks are the team of the boroughs

but I digress

Last edited:

Feed-Me

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Jay won't ducking no 50, revisionists history I swear

I remember when 50 made how to Rob and Jay dissed him back "I'm about a dollar, what the fvck is 50 Cents

then later on in an interview Jay straight up said "ain't nobody scared of 50"

and speaking of ducking, when 50 dissed Big Punisher, Pun checked him on the song 'My Turn" where he basically said he wasn't no studio rapper and that he would shoot him or whip his a$$, plus Pun was 100 times better lyrically than 50, so 50 woulda lost an on wax battle too

I don't know why some cats act like 50 was the Deebo or rap and everybody was scared of him

now, let's not derail breh, this is about The Takeover
Guru, Roc artists have said publicly that Jay told roc artists to get they ish out before 50 drops because he's gonna be a problem

Fresh

New York Knicks
Daps
Guru, Roc artists have said publicly that Jay told roc artists to get they ish out before 50 drops because he's gonna be a problem

I thought you meant peeps were saying rappers feared 50's gangsta

but I remember what you're talking about, Jay Z said he told his artist to flood the streets with music before GRODT dropped because 50 had such a big buzz

Feed-Me

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I thought you meant peeps were saying rappers feared 50's gangsta

but I remember what you're talking about, Jay Z said he told his artist to flood the streets with music before GRODT dropped because 50 had such a big buzz
Hov my goat and I'm a queens nikka but he doesn't know how to handle nikkas like 50, game, Ross, cam etc. He better than all but those 4 handle beef in a way that clearly hov want no part of. Years of trolling and digging up dirt etc. He see it as not a lyrical show down as he know he above them but sees it as not worth the drama engaging too much with nikkas like those 4. And like you said not in fear of Street ish either. It's either their buzz or pettiness.