Regardless of how well Swerve's promo goes, on Collison, AEW shows how much storytelling matters?

Easy-E

Suffering From Success | 1316 Days
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Island of Relevancy, Forever
What's the story with Swerve winning the title?

That he will be the first Black Man in the companies history to win the biggest prize in the game.

Over the last couple of weeks; "AEW has been under attack"

What does Tony do; send Edge out there--ex WWE guy--to talk about how great AEW....not the guy you're about to book as your top guy :dahell:

First Black Champ this

First Black Champ that

What has Swerve do for the black ppl in his own promotion to warrant him a BLACK REPRESENTATIVE (kayfabe wise)? Okay, you got Prince Nana, who else? :dahell:

You don't have to go all Cody WM40, but, how about a couple of segments with Swerve talking to the other black ppl in your company? Hell, have Athena wish him good luck...the 500 day top women Champion right in the company.

Unfornately Swerve's real life antics (somewhat) take away from him being a great black champ.

I like AEW, but, stuff like this is so little league. No wonder the only Tony can tell is; who's the best wrestler in the world...when all this shyt is a work, anyway and the booker decides who wins?

:snoop:

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
A lot of your post tells me you've missed a lot of the content leading up to it. Swerve's win has been built up over a period of around 6 months.... they've been telling that story with him. One of the very few stories they've told all year lol. They even had a tease with him and MJF during it.

As far as has he said anything about being black lol... yes he has in a few promos. In February he cut a promo about Black History Month... he had another promo where he was naming guys like Kofi Kingston (he actually said Kofi Kingston in the promo) and said he wanted to win the title for them..

Easy-E

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A lot of your post tells me you've missed a lot of the content leading up to it. Swerve's win has been built up over a period of around 6 months.... they've been telling that story with him. One of the very few stories they've told all year lol. They even had a tease with him and MJF during it.

As far as has he said anything about being black lol... yes he has in a few promos. In February he cut a promo about Black History Month... he had another promo where he was naming guys like Kofi Kingston (he actually said Kofi Kingston in the promo) and said he wanted to win the title for them..

No, I haven't miss much

I saw all this live

I didn't say anything about him not mentioning being black :dahell: he reminds us every time he gets the mic

My issue is it could be better. You wanna be the first Black AEW, then what? Maybe I should've worded it better

Brad Piff

The Money & The Miles
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
The thing is, how can anyone be hopeful for this title reign when everyone knows he’s not holding it past August? There’s never been a more obvious transitional heavyweight champ in AEW.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
No, I haven't miss much

I saw all this live

I didn't say anything about him not mentioning being black :dahell: he reminds us every time he gets the mic

My issue is it could be better. You wanna be the first Black AEW, then what? Maybe I should've worded it better

I agree it could have been booked better but I don't think anything to do with Swerve over the last 6 months has been "bad.." it's been pretty much the best shyt on the show for the most part...

Also, I disagree with the "regardless of what his promo is on Collision" part... that sounds overly dramatic. This whole thread is premature honestly :pachaha:

Also... even if he drops the belt at Wembley... a 4 1/2 month title reign is not a "transitional" title reign at all. That's an average title reign far as total days goes and what's more important is how he's booked after the title reign to solidify himself as a main eventer.

TheSuperkick!

The Ultimate Madness!
Supporter
Daps
So far, the only thing I would have changed is not having him face Fletcher on Dynamite. Have Swerve come out and do the championship coronation with confetti, balloons, the dancing girls, maybe even have a few plants in the crowd so he can crowd surf for a bit.

Then...have Callis and Fletcher come out to spoil the party. Talk about Fletcher killing it in ROH and now you have a match next week. 2 guys who have been on a roll as of late and they face off. Callis can call it scouting for when Ospreay gets his shot. Swerve can say he's an honorable and fighting champion. And we actually get to.........build to the match!

OneDeep

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New Orleans
The fact that he doing a promo speaks volumes he wouldn’t be doing it if people weren’t complaining online about it they wouldn’t be having him cut a promo

On Dynamite

He was the 7 most important thing on the show given we seen

The Elite (Bucks,Okada,Jack)
Orange Cassidy
Trent
Cucky T

Before him

Than he went 20 minutes with a glorified jobber in Kyle

And then Tony booked himself in the main event

NoMorePie

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Mississauga
The thing is, how can anyone be hopeful for this title reign when everyone knows he’s not holding it past August? There’s never been a more obvious transitional heavyweight champ in AEW.

To be fair. We all know Damian priests Reigns isn't lasting past clash at the castle.

But I'm not letting that get to me.

Use the time you have to do what you can 💝 💝 💝 💝

MenacingMonk

Tranquilo
Daps
Reppin
West where the Sunsets
This isn’t about his skin color. It’s about another young talent making it to the top because he hustled to get to where he’s at. He’s where he’s at because of his work and he’s rewarded for it because he’s over. Same can be said for Hangman Page. They don’t become AEW champs if they don’t get over as much as they did.

Can yall hold the complaining until we see how he’s actually booked a month from now? Not how he got to where he’s at. :shaq2:

Brad Piff

The Money & The Miles
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
To be fair. We all know Damian priests Reigns isn't lasting past clash at the castle.

But I'm not letting that get to me.

Use the time you have to do what you can 💝 💝 💝 💝
yeah but who really cares about priest like that lol

people wanted the title on drew

Swerve said his reign is about representation. 4 months is nothing in the grand scheme of things. We all know Ospreay, MJF and Okada are the next heavyweight champs over the next couple of years.. probably in that order.

Easy-E

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
I agree it could have been booked better but I don't think anything to do with Swerve over the last 6 months has been "bad.." it's been pretty much the best shyt on the show for the most part...

Also, I disagree with the "regardless of what his promo is on Collision" part... that sounds overly dramatic. This whole thread is premature honestly :pachaha:

Also... even if he drops the belt at Wembley... a 4 1/2 month title reign is not a "transitional" title reign at all. That's an average title reign far as total days goes and what's more important is how he's booked after the title reign to solidify himself as a main eventer.
Maybe addressing the nuance of his booking is making me out to be a nitcpicker.

:hubie:

I was excepting more than him dressing as Black Panther in the title match.

Cattle Mutilation

Superstar
Daps
The fact that he doing a promo speaks volumes he wouldn’t be doing it if people weren’t complaining online about it they wouldn’t be having him cut a promo

On Dynamite

He was the 7 most important thing on the show given we seen

The Elite (Bucks,Okada,Jack)
Orange Cassidy
Trent
Cucky T

Before him

Than he went 20 minutes with a glorified jobber in Kyle

And then Tony booked himself in the main event
He was always planned for the promo to open the show tonight because of the gigantic lead-in they’ll get from the NBA game. It’s the highest rated quarter for weekly TV they might ever have in their history. And they are putting a Swerve promo segment there.

People complaining on Wednesday isn’t the reason why it’s happening tonight.

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps
He was always planned for the promo to open the show tonight because of the gigantic lead-in they’ll get from the NBA game. It’s the highest rated quarter for weekly TV they might ever have in their history. And they are putting a Swerve promo segment there.

People complaining on Wednesday isn’t the reason why it’s happening tonight.
We get that, but the new champ should've gotten something special on the A show. Instead of a forgettable "banger" to start Dynamite, let us see Swerve's limo pulling up to the arena. Show him watching the show from his skybox with his crew and their PAWGs, show a few graphics on Dynamite to promote tonight's championship celebration. Give Swerve and Nana a vignette to gloat.
Do something to make the first Black champion seem special.
Unfortunately, Swerve isn't even going to be the highlight of his championship celebration tonight. You know how it goes, somebody's going to crash Swerve's party and he'll be overshadowed. Furthermore, the bulk of those NBA fans that Tony is counting on will miss it because they're changing the channel as soon as the game goes off.
The new champion should ALWAYS get a celebratory segment on the next show following their title win. That's the way it has always been.

BrehWyatt

Let me work.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#TSC
I'm all for Swerve being champion but I would have preferred he keep his heel killer persona en route to it.

Alas.