Caribbean cuisine & foodways

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Appreciation, history, discussion, debates about food from the Caribbean.

=========================
There was a show that aired on pbs called "Taste The Islands"
this episode was about
haiti-128.png

im_sleep

Superstar
Daps
:ehh:

What are some good books I can check out on the subject?

I BEEN ready to try more than just Jamaican food(which I love). I’ll be living on the East Coast in a few months for the first time so I’m definitely going to take advantage in trying as many different cuisines as I can find.

Akae Beka

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I saw the 1st episode(you posted) a couple weeks ago randomly browsing. Felt like one of the women wasnt feeling some of her food but I know editing can make things seem that way. Looked great to me :yeshrug:

I hope they do an episode of the smaller Antilles cuisine, particularly Virgin Islands or the Windward islands. I feel(at least in regards to the Virgin Islands) that it is an amalgamation of the all the carribbean when it comes to food. Due to the representatives from all the islands(virtually all islands nations people can be found there) there.
In the windward Islands, they tend to eat more ground provisions and fish. Dasheen, yams, plantain, green banana, lentils etc.

I maintain that the Caribbean has some of the best quality of food around, because on some islands the soil is megarich and can grow anything. Islands like Dominica and/St.Lucia that has volcanoes there, has a interesting selection of crops. :ehh:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
:ehh:

What are some good books I can check out on the subject?

I BEEN ready to try more than just Jamaican food(which I love). I’ll be living on the East Coast in a few months for the first time so I’m definitely going to take advantage in trying as many different cuisines as I can find.

Ms. Harris put out two good books that are good overviews of the region....."Beyond Gumbo" & "Sky Juice and Flying Fish". From there you'd have to find books specific to each country. I have a funny story about a book about Haitian food that I'll share later.

Harris has really put in the work. She has the academic background, she's traveled to or lived in all(or most of) the places she writes about, and she has a deep passion for food preparation and food history.Her books always stand out from others covering the same topics.

About Jamaica and their food? Jamaica is the default Caribbean group in this country, and in the world. They have huge global influence and often overshadow the rest of the Caribbean.
Caribbean history and culture is interesting in that in the majority of the countries , there was a tug of war/ musical chairs by the Euro powers. Conflicts occurring in Europe at the time spilled over into the Caribbean colonies.....so at different times, different flags flew over these countries. Even after the African people gained independence, the elements of those different Euro countries are still part of the culture in some way.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
I saw the 1st episode(you posted) a couple weeks ago randomly browsing. Felt like one of the women wasnt feeling some of her food but I know editing can make things seem that way. Looked great to me :yeshrug:

The cook is photogenic, so I watched the vid after seeing a different interview featuring her.Her smile makes her look like she's high. I didn't notice that the other host might not have liked the food, but I don't doubt it. In fact, you're right.she avoided eating part of the meal very diplomatically..hahhahah

Funniest part to me

host 2"how do I say that 'this food is amazing' in Kreyol ?"
host 1 "li bon" (it's good)

Wait, what?

I hope they do an episode of the smaller Antilles cuisine, particularly Virgin Islands or the Windward islands. I feel(at least in regards to the Virgin Islands) that it is an amalgamation of the all the carribbean when it comes to food. Due to the representatives from all the islands(virtually all islands nations people can be found there) there.
Lesser Antilles is overshadowed by the big four, and I'm interested in knowing more about those places as well.

Interesting. I know that Haitians have traditionally traveled to Bahamas,Cuba,and D.R. for seasonal work, so I assumed that elements of those countries' food cultures have had an influence on Haitian food.
I didn't know that there was a large group of Carib diaspora in the Virgin Islands. You're saying that enough other islanders are there to have impacted/influenced local food culture?

In the windward Islands, they tend to eat more ground provisions and fish. Dasheen, yams, plantain, green banana, lentils etc.

I maintain that the Caribbean has some of the best quality of food around, because on some islands the soil is megarich and can grow anything. Islands like Dominica and/St.Lucia that has volcanoes there, has a interesting selection of crops. :ehh:

Akae Beka

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The cook is photogenic, so I watched the vid after seeing a different interview featuring her.Her smile makes her look like she's high. I didn't notice that the other host might not have liked the food, but I don't doubt it. In fact, you're right.she avoided eating part of the meal very diplomatically..hahhahah

Funniest part to me

host 2"how do I say that 'this food is amazing' in Kreyol ?"
host 1 "li bon" (it's good)

Lol yup, iirc the jamaican girl seemed more interested and enthusiastic about the chef's food.

Wait, what?

Lesser Antilles is overshadowed by the big four, and I'm interested in knowing more about those places as well.

Interesting. I know that Haitians have traditionally traveled to Bahamas,Cuba,and D.R. for seasonal work, so I assumed that elements of those countries' food cultures have had an influence on Haitian food.
I didn't know that there was a large group of Carib diaspora in the Virgin Islands. You're saying that enough other islanders are there to have impacted/influenced local food culture?

Yup they're highly overshadowed. In some instances, the best from those countries leave for various reasons and have their accomplishments acknowledge there.
I know they're lots of Haitians in Dominica (commonwealth) and they have positively affected the economy there, as the only real difference is accent when amongst each other.

English speaking group of U.S islands between Florida and Guyana was destined to be a stop or easier access to America :yeshrug:
At times when others who migrate to the U.S, others prefered the island experience, while working for/in the American Imperialism.
I went to school and lived amongst St.Lucians, Grenadians, Puerto Ricans, Trini's, Coolies, Santo(what locals call Dominicans not from DOminica W.I),
Vincy,Antigans, DOMiniCans, Native Crucians,Black Americans etc all on a island a tad bigger than DC(Speaking in regard to St.Croix).
Most people proudly represent their parents Islands but are unified under VI banner. :wow:

Pretty much all foods you can find across the caribbean, you'll find down there, with their own spin and local season twist to it.:mjgrin:

Daps
Caribbean cuisines are the GOAT. :wow::blessed::whew::ohlawd::noah::salute::ahh::banderas::lawd:
It's truly the first lot of fusion cuisines. So many cultures and influnces combined to make a melting pot of glorious food.

I love Jamaican cuisine (*shock* A Jamaican that loves Jamaican cuisine. Who would've thought!? */Shock*)
It's a fusion of West & Central African, Hakka Chinese, South Asian, Taino (Jerk), English and Sephardic Jewish cuisines. Yet it's our own.

I've had Trini and Domincan cuisines. Nice.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Caribbean cuisines are the GOAT. :wow::blessed::whew::ohlawd::noah::salute::ahh::banderas::lawd:
It's truly the first lot of fusion cuisines. So many cultures and influnces combined to make a melting pot of glorious food.

I love Jamaican cuisine (*shock* A Jamaican that loves Jamaican cuisine. Who would've thought!? */Shock*)
It's a fusion of West & Central African, Hakka Chinese, South Asian, Taino (Jerk), English and Sephardic Jewish cuisines. Yet it's our own.

I've had Trini and Domincan cuisines. Nice.
Do you find similar dishes in Trinidad, another country with a South Asian population and influence?