5/4/24: PBC on PRIME/DAZN PPV: Saul Canelo Alvarez vs Jaime Munguia (Undisputed Super Middleweight Championship)

Who Wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jerz

All Star
Daps
1. Ironic you brought up Caleb Plant, seeing as the fights Caleb had with Benavidez and Canelo ended up the same exact way. Caleb outboxing both fighters in the 1st half of the fight, then slowly gotten broken down as Caleb gassed out and got overpowered by both. Only difference with the Caleb vs Benavidez fight is Caleb lasted the full 12 rounds.... Canelo is the better boxer of the 2, but Canelo struggles with elite boxers just like Benevidez. So it's a moot point

2. So if Benavidez is nothing special, then why did Canelo fight John Rider, undersized Jermell Charlo, and Mungia? They can be considered "nothing special" if you are calling Benavidez nothing special. Isn't Benavidez more deserving then the people I just named. Especially since he's a 168 mandatory that the public is asking for
Once again. Benavidez is coming in as Cruiserweight on fight night. Ryder, Charlo, and Mungia are not. You can say Benavidez, and the other 3 -- are all nothing special. But Canelo is not giving up ridiculous height, reach, and weight advantages to other guys. None of mention does anything for Canelo

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps
Because it's true. Benavidez doesn't have a belt, isn't a P4P fighter. On fight night- Canelo would be boxing a Cruiserweight, and gaining nothing from it. We've seen Canelo move up and fight guys way bigger than him, but he did it for belts. Something to gain..

Neither is Mungia :ohhh:

((ReFleXioN)) EteRNaL

RIP MR. SMOKE
Daps
This was very well made. Seems like they brought along the all access team.

Canelo's defense gotta be on point for this. Mungia is strong and relentless. He's not gonna back down. He's also good at trading shots inside. Probably the strongest puncher canelo has fought since little g.

LuuqMaan

Superstar
Daps
This was very well made. Seems like they brought along the all access team.

Canelo's defense gotta be on point for this. Mungia is strong and relentless. He's not gonna back down. He's also good at trading shots inside. Probably the strongest puncher canelo has fought since little g.

The last Gloves Off wasn’t as well made
But this one, you can tell they back with the All Access aura again.

They’ll get back in the groove , hopefully

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
PBC ON PRIME VIDEO LINEUP TO FEATURE TWO EXCITING SHOWDOWNS ON SATURDAY, MAY 4 LEADING UP TO CANELO VS. MUNGUIA

PAY-PER-VIEW

Hard-Hitting Jesus Ramos Jr. Returns To Battle

Knockout Artist Johan Gonzalez

Plus Rising Super Welterweight Vito Mielnicki Jr.

Takes On Veteran Slugger Ronald Cruz

Kicking Off Action Beginning at

6:00 p.m. ET/3:00 p.m. PT

PBC on Prime Video Prelims Stream Live & for Free from

T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas

&

Lead Up to PBC Pay-Per-View Event on Prime Video at

8 p.m. ET/5 p.m. PT Headlined by Pound-for-Pound Great

Canelo Álvarez Dueling All-Action Star Jaime Munguía

Blockbuster Pay-Per-View Card Also Available

Live on DAZN.com

LAS VEGAS – April 25, 2024 – A pair of showdowns featuring the next wave of super welterweight stars in separate attractions will highlight PBC on Prime Video action taking place Saturday, May 4 from T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. The two matchups will be available via free access to all fans, regardless of Prime membership or purchase of the PPV card.

The live streaming presentation will be topped by hard-hitting contender Jesus “Mono” Ramos taking on Venezuela’s Johan Gonzalez in a 10-round bout, plus rising contender Vito Mielnicki Jr. battles L.A.’s Ronald Cruz in a 10-round fight kicking off the stream at 6:00 p.m. ET/3:00 p.m. PT.

These bouts will lead into a four-fight PBC Pay-Per-View on Prime Video beginning at 8 p.m. ET/5 p.m. PT as Canelo Promotions presents a Cinco de Mayo weekend blockbuster featuring pound-for-pound great Canelo Álvarez putting his undisputed super middleweight world title on the line against unbeaten all-action former world champion Jaime Munguía in the main event.

The pay-per-view undercard will feature Interim WBC Welterweight Champion Mario “El Azteca” Barrios battling Argentine power-puncher Fabian “TNT” Maidana in the co-main event, Interim WBC Featherweight Champion Brandon “The Heartbreaker” Figueroa facing former world champion Jessie Magdaleno, and undefeated WBA Welterweight Champion Eimantas Stanionis taking on unbeaten two-time Olympian Gabriel Maestre in the pay-per-view opener.

In addition to the PPV being available for purchase on Prime Video, regardless of Prime membership, fans will also be able to purchase the PPV via DAZN.com. On top of those options, fans will also be able to continue to access the telecast through traditional cable and satellite outlets, including PPV.com

Tickets for the live event are on sale now at AXS.com. The event is promoted by Canelo Promotions and TGB Promotions, in association with Golden Boy Promotions and Zanfer Boxing Promotions.

“PBC on Prime Video action will return with two young stars looking to improve their position in the stacked 154-pound division,” said Tom Brown, President of TGB Promotions. “Jesus Ramos and Vito Mielnicki Jr. have both shown they have what it takes to be future champions, but will have stiff tests on May 4 against Johan Gonzalez and Ronald Cruz respectively, providing an ideal lead in to the pay-per-view event headlined by Canelo Álvarez vs. Jaime Munguía from T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.”

**JESUS RAMOS VS. JOHAN GONZALEZ**

Returning to the ring after a close and debated decision defeat in his last fight, Jesus “Mono” Ramos will look to regain his momentum toward a world title opportunity when he faces the streaking Venezuelan contender Johan Gonzalez in a 10-round super welterweight clash.

The 23-year-old Ramos (20-1, 16 KOs) was on the wrong end of a decision last September against top super welterweight contender Erickson Lubin that also came on the undercard of a Canelo Álvarez headlined event. A native of Casa Grande, Ariz., Ramos had worked his way up the rankings by defeating a slew of contenders including Brian Mendoza, Javier Molina, Vladimir Hernandez and an emphatic stoppage of then unbeaten Joey Spencer. Trained by his father Jesus Sr. and the nephew of veteran contender Abel, Ramos entered the Lubin fighting having stopped seven of his last 10 opponents.

“I’m excited to be back in the ring again,” said Ramos. “My team and I have been training hard to prepare for this fight. I have a tough opponent in Johan Gonzalez who’s hungry for a big opportunity, but I’m hungry too. I want to prove that I belong at the top of the division and I can’t wait to put on a great performance on May 4.”

A native of Valencia, Venezuela who now trains in Las Vegas, Gonzalez (34-2, 33 KOs) made his stateside debut in 2023 as he earned a pair of victories in the U.S., first stopping Ricardo Ruben Villalba in August before defeating Guido Emmanuel Schramm in November. The 33-year-old won those fights to bounce back from a close 2022 decision defeat to world title challenger Magomed Kurbanov. A pro since 2017, Gonzalez won his first 22 bouts before dropping a split decision in 2018.

“I’m extremely motivated to be facing an opponent like Jesus Ramos who has experience fighting on big cards like this,” said Gonzalez. “This is my chance to show my skills and announce myself on the biggest stage. I appreciate everyone who helped make this fight happen and I can’t wait to show what I can do on May 4.”

**VITO MIELNICKI JR. VS. RONALD CRUZ**

Riding a nine-fight winning streak, rising super welterweight and WBA No. 4 ranked contender Vito Mielnicki Jr. will hope to build off a four-victory 2023 when he makes his 2024 debut against durable veteran Ronald Cruz in a 10-round super welterweight showdown.

Representing Roseland, N.J., Mielnicki (16-1, 11 KOs) has shown improved power in recent outings, stopping four-straight opponents and seven of his last nine. Most recently, Mielnicki scored first-round knockouts in back-to-back fights, blasting out Alexis Salazar in November and Salim Larbi in December. The 21-year-old first turned heads during his exceptional amateur career where he compiled a 147-22 record and was named the Most Outstanding Boxer of the 2011 Junior National Golden Gloves, amongst many accolades before turning pro.

"I’m having a great training camp down in Houston and my team and I are prepared for the best version of Ronald Cruz on May 4,” said Mielnicki. “I’m excited and blessed to be fighting on Prime Video for the first time. I want to thank my whole team for continuing to put me on the biggest stages."

A native of Los Angeles, Cruz (19-3-1, 12 KOs) won 18 of his first 19 pro fights after turning pro in 2014 and has proven a sturdy challenge throughout his career. The 33-year-old fought Damian Sosa to a draw in August 2022 before going the distance with unbeaten prospect Xander Zayas in a losing effort in June 2023. Most recently Cruz scored a unanimous decision victory over Jose Aguirre in December 2023.

“I’m very thankful to everyone who helped get me this great opportunity,” said Cruz. “Come May 4, I will not be denied. Every chance I get, I’m taking full advantage of it. I’m in this position with one amateur fight and no handouts. Love me or hate, enjoy the show.”

((ReFleXioN)) EteRNaL

RIP MR. SMOKE
Daps

This fight gonna be fire. Also forgot Mungia is 6 foot. He's long and has similar speed. And pound for pound think he packs a bigger punch than David. And maybe on par with canelo. It's gonna come down to how well he can take canelo's punch and keep the pace up. He gotta try to drown canelo with activity.

((ReFleXioN)) EteRNaL

RIP MR. SMOKE
Daps

Motivedia always got the crack. I can't wait. Outside of David and beterbiev-bivol. This is the toughest matchup out there for canelo. Could blow up in his face if he's not the same.

He looked great vs jermell. But it's hard to tell how much of that was because of canelo and how much was because jermell offered zero resistance. This fight is gonna be the one where we really see how much canelo has left because Mungia isn't gonna back down. Win or lose he's going out swinging.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Motivedia always got the crack. I can't wait. Outside of David and beterbiev-bivol. This is the toughest matchup out there for canelo. Could blow up in his face if he's not the same.

He looked great vs jermell. But it's hard to tell how much of that was because of canelo and how much was because jermell offered zero resistance. This fight is gonna be the one where we really see how much canelo has left because Mungia isn't gonna back down. Win or lose he's going out swinging.
Mell couldn't take the heat and is skilled enough as a boxer to just survive, and his power became "normal" at 168.

Jaime got a rock head so we are really gonna see if he has an amazing chin or will Canelo break him down. Canelo is slick defensively so this is going to be interesting. I think disappoinment of Benevidez not happening Jamie is probably one of the most dangerous at 168 after Benevidez and has more fights than Morrell who you can argue has the natural gifts but may be too green

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps

I agree. To me the wildcard in this fight is Freddy Roach. He has helped Mungia improve leaps and bounds under him, and I'm intrigued on what he's cooked up for this fight

I got a feeling the sanctioning bodies is using this fight to gauge where Canelo is at, and see if he has slipped and slowing down. They only care about money, and if Canelo seems like he's slowing down and not going to be the cash cow anymore, they will take action, and they will start to enforce his mandatories or strip him of his titles